Saturday, January 29, 2011

Practice search for Reina






I try to learn something from every search, whether it is a practice search or a live search.  What did I learn today?  Some days suck.  Kelsy missed the first turn of this trail, and I didn't catch it.  When I backed her up to point where we went wrong and started her again, we apparently crossed the trail again and she went off it again.  We ran around for four miles in the rain, and Kelsy didn't seem to mind that we weren't on the trail of our target dog any more.  The worst part is that I was very frustrated with her, and I expressed my frustration, which probably didn't help anything.  Because I knew where the trail ended, I was able to steer Kelsy onto the last half mile of the route, and I could tell as we got closer that she was definitely on the trail of Reina.

The other thing I learned, later, after I had had a while to think about things, is that I shouldn't care if Kelsy sucks at this job.  Of course, I want her to be successful, for two reasons.  First, she enjoys winning this game, getting it right.  Second, she can save lives if she is effective.  However, if it turns out that she never finds another dog again, I'm not going to love her any less.  I am very disappointed in myself for grumbling at her today.  It wasn't helpful, and it didn't make me feel any better.  She didn't understand why I was unhappy.  I hope that Kelsy and I can fix our errors in communication, but I hope she knows that I will always love her no matter what she does.

Temp: 47F
Feels like: 42F
Light Rain
Humidity: 97%
Wind: SSW at 10 mph
Updated: 1/29/11 10:25 AM PST

Name:Track 030
Date:Jan 29, 2011 10:47 am
Map:
(valid until Jul 28, 2011)
View on Map
Distance:3.81 miles
Elapsed Time:1:26:54
Avg Speed:2.6 mph
Max Speed:7.4 mph
Avg Pace:22' 50" per mile
Min Altitude:227 ft
Max Altitude:433 ft
Start Time:2011-01-29T18:47:52Z
Start Location: 
 Latitude: 47.470116º N
 Longitude:122.198898º W
End Location: 
 Latitude: 47.474553º N
 Longitude:122.196872º W

No comments:

Post a Comment