Saturday, February 19, 2011

Practice searches for Sampson and Cheeto






Pictured above is Karma, one of our cat-detection dogs.  I worked with her today in cross-training, meaning that she and I practiced working together so that we can possibly go on searches together if her owner is busy.  I also worked with Griffin.  Both dogs found Cheeto, of course, and it was interesting to see their different reactions.  Both Griffin and Karma know what to do, and I am the one that needs training with them.  I habitually give directions like I would to a dog-detection dog, and I need to get in the habit of working in cat-detection mode, a different process.  Karma and Griffin are both terribly sweet, and a pleasure to work with. 

Kelsy did a quick search for Sampson on a trail that was about 20 minutes old and half a mile long.  She pulled me right along, but she might have skipped a leg of the trail.  I'm not sure because there was some confusion about the trail in talking with Sampson's owner.  The conditions were cool, about 40 degrees, with bright sun and variable wind, sometimes strong, sometimes calm in the protection of the forest.  Humidity was about 70%, and we did the search at about 4 PM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment