Thursday, March 8, 2012

Practice Search for Party

Today we did a practice search for Party in West Seattle.  Kelsy did not do well.  She seemed hot, tired, distracted, and somewhat uninterested.  She got the first few turns right, but then she completely missed a turn and took me two blocks off the trail.  The trail was only five hours old.  I thought we were off the trail, although I wasn't certain at the time, and I asked her if she was sure she was going the right way.  She kept pulling, and she didn't let the leash slack until we were two blocks off course.  This could be due to transferred scent I suppose.  Also, the conditions were not great for a search, being too warm, dry, and still.

Temp: 48°F
Feels like: 48°F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 66%
Wind: WSW 3 mph
Everything north of Roxbury is wrong.  When she lost the scent, I led her back in the directin I thought the trail would go.  I could tell when she hit the scent trail again, and she picked up the pace when we got closer to the target dog.  When she found him, she seemed pretty certain it was the right dog.  He was friendly, and Kelsy was happy to get her cheese, and share a little with Party. 

Several barking dogs distracted Kelsy on this search.  Usually, she can stay focused.  Today, she did not, apparently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment